Thursday, September 15, 2011

An Addy Update

Just a quick note and update on Addy's medical happenings.  Actually it isn't much of an update; I like that it isn't much of one.  Yesterday we saw the pediatric developmental doctor with early intervention.  It's a pediatrician who really focuses on the whole child and any developmental concerns.  If  you have a child with special needs, this is basically your go-to person to help coordinate the care from the multiple specialists if you had several.  We've been waiting for this appointment for awhile.  Really at the moment though, there's not a ton we need from this doc.  Addy's medical stuff is pretty much stable.  So developmentally - Addy's on track.  Her only recommendation was for a kidney ultrasound, just to be sure there isn't anything odd going on (there's a connection between hearing loss and kidney issues often times).
Well this morning, she had an ophthalmology appointment.  Her geneticist wanted her to see an ophthalmologist again (if you remember Addy saw one before she was even 6 months, just to check on her eyes and the nerves and such and rule out signs of Usher syndrome).  The brain atrophy could have affected the optic nerves; we hadn't noticed anything odd in her vision but of course knew it wouldn't hurt to have things checked out.  The appointment was long, the wait was long, but I felt comfortable that the ophthalmologist was very knowledgeable and experienced.  I really liked her, that made it easier to endure the wait time; it also was a huge blessing that the boys were playing at a friend's house for the morning.  Addy's optic nerves looked great (now that I type this, I wonder can they really see the optic nerves or is there something else they see that gives clues?  I'm not sure, I know her eyes were very dilated so maybe they can see them).  Anyway, everything looks great as far as that goes.  That is awesome news!   Apparently though Addy is farsighted and has astigmatism.  It is borderline on needing glasses.  The doctor said if she was in kindergarten she'd still be hesitant to give Addy glasses, if she was in 1st grade it would be recommended because she'd be reading smaller print and more would be required of her eyes.  She will have a follow-up in 6 months and we'll go from there as far as what she needs.  I guess we won't be surprised if by elementary school she needs glasses - not such a bad thing at all.

No comments: