Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Our Crazy Day...

Just a quick post before we all head to bed. It has been quite the day at our house. Noah had a cough last night and by this morning you could tell he didn't feel well at all. By late morning he was running a temp, coughing and wasn't able to keep anything down. Poor baby has the flu - the swab came back negative but the doctor was pretty confident it is the flu. He is on medicine and we were told what to watch for if he needs to be seen back immediately. He's doing some better this evening, though still not keeping much down; the fever is down though and that is huge I think. We'll be keeping him home for a week at least. I think he's enjoying all the TV he's getting to watch. They dont' think it's the seasonal flu as that hasn't seemed to hit our area and instead that its the H1N1 strand. Not fun for any of us. I'm so glad Mike is home, he's been taking care of Noah and handling all that it involves so that I can try and keep from getting it since I'm nursing Addison and have to be close to her. Of course, we are also keeping her away from Noah and trying to keep Josh away from her as much as we can too. Lots of handwashing - lots of cleaning - lots of praying. Unfortunately they said that Josh most likely will also get it and didn't seem confident that we could keep Addison from getting it - that is scary as if she gets it they may want to hospitalize her since she's so little...just scary stuff. I hate not being able to snuggle and cuddle Noah - I am missing taking care of him so much, breaks my heart because every ounce of me just wants to make him better but I know that I have to do all I can to keep myself healthy so Addison stays healthy because it would be much worse on her tiny body.

Addison also had 2 appointments today - her 2 week well-baby check up and a hearing rescreening at Boys' Town this afternoon since she failed her hearing test at the hospital in both ears. Her 2 week well-baby check went great, she's doing well and meeting most of the goals (she doesn't always respond to noises but we were having that checked in the afternoon so the doc didn't stress over it too much). She now weighs 7 lb 14 oz and is 20.5 inches long - she's growing great. The doctor was very excited that she was above her birth weight already, the way she eats it's no surprise though. I was a bit surprised though that she had grown half an inch in length already. Her rescreening in the afternoon was a long appointment but it was very thorough. It turns out that she has mild and moderate hearing loss in her left ear, depending on the frequency. Her right ear has normal hearing, however, it was on the borderline of mild hearing loss. I think I was in a bit of shock at the end of the appointment and didn't ask the good questions I should have. What we do know right now is that they would like to retest her hearing in both ears when she's 2 months old and fit her left ear for a hearing aid. We got a portfolio type folder that had lots of information in it that Mike and I are sorting through and making a list of questions for the next appointment. I am very thankful that this was caught so early and that we are some place that has access to great doctors who specialize in hearing loss especially in patients so young. We will see what this will entail - right now we are just going to make sure to have her right ear uncovered (meaning not leaning against us when we hold her) if she's awake so we can talk to her and we'll also make sure she knows that she was made just how God wanted her to be, she is absolutely wonderfully and fearfully made!
We are hoping this next week passes by quickly without much more sickness and surprise medical needs - keep us in your prayers, specifically that Noah recovers quickly and that Addison can manage to stay well and not get this nasty bug that is going around like wildfire it seems.

No comments: