Thursday, September 9, 2010

Fun Times at Podiatry

So I finally had my podiatry appointment today - about 4 weeks ago I was in the ER barely able to walk on my left foot from heel pain. No surprise, I had heel spurs and all the inflammation that went with them, since we've known the heel spurs have been there since 2005 I wasn't shocked. The doctor in San Antonio wanted to operate - but we were moving and 6 - 8 weeks for them both to get done and be off my feet wasn't really an option. Well, then in August of 2005 we got pregnant...and well yeah pretty much since then we've been pregnant or had a newborn in the house (writing that makes it seem quite ridiculously CRAZY!). I was nervous to go, but knew I needed to. My feet have hurt so badly lately that going to the gym makes them hurt much worse all day and the next, walking for any amount of time hurts, sitting too long hurts. It just hasn't been fun. I was afraid they would want to talk injections or surgery.
Thankfully we aren't going there, at least yet. Right now I have a little regiment that I'll need to do daily. Stretching 5 times a day, ice massage (frozen cup of water massaging each heel for 3 minutes a piece!) 3 times a day, some anti-inflammatory medicine, new arch supports, a fun new nightly accessory in the way of a night brace and absolutely no going barefoot even at home! I know flip-flops aren't great for my feet - but it's hot! I hate wearing shoes, I would much prefer going barefoot all the time, but I don't want huge needles in my feet or for them to be cut open so I'm going to try very hard to follow doctor orders - shoes all day. He actually told me to think of them as casts. I go back in a month, we'll see then where the pain is and if more aggressive treatment is needed. For now I'm hopefully - we have 3 very active, crazy, busy kids who need 2 parents to run after them. Lovely, isn't it?

No comments: