Thursday, March 10, 2011

More blood work done

I'm going to try and not be too negative in this post so I'll just say that last week I called the lab to see if they could do all of the test that Addison's endocrinologist needed done.  I was very specific, gave them the order numbers, spelled things out and made sure I was speaking with someone in the chemistry department.  We didn't get it done on base - they weren't able to do them after all.  Frustrating, or maddening more like it.  I was given a very fuzzy copy of a list of the other labs downtown that could accomplish the order.  We left, I didn't yell, but probably could have been a bit nicer.  After finding the new lab, Addison and I waited in line to check in...and waited.  Then we had a seat and waited more.  Mike had to be to work at 10 and we were finally called back at 930 - almost 90 minutes after we got there.  Geesh!  If it hadn't been that Addison had already been fasting I might have left to try again tomorrow morning.  There were just a lot of people getting lab work done, the staff seemed to be working quickly.  Addison wasn't too fun to hang out with this morning, she was hungry and just fussy - not that I can blame her.  Mike took her sugar this morning before we left and it was only 46, I know she wanted to eat and have a drink.  Finally we got back to the room, Addison threw a couple of their supplies in the trash can while we waited that were in her reach (the band to tie on her arm and the alcohol swab).  When the 2 techs came in she kept shaking her head no.  I am glad it is over for now; we didn't do the blood work that the geneticist wants done...that one needs prior authorization (which is surprising to me since the chromosome test that was over $1800 didn't need authorization; I am scared to think how much these tests are going to be!) so we are waiting for that to get in to the insurance.  I'm glad though that we didn't do them all together - they took 6 viles of Addison's blood.  6!  Poor baby; as soon as we were done though I gave her a juice box and granola bar which she inhaled on the way home.  We ended up meeting Mike at work and getting Noah and Josh to save him a few minutes.  On a good note though - getting this done off base means that her endocrinologist will have the results as soon as they are in, which should be in a few days.  Hopefully next week we'll have some kind of answer to this particular area. 

No comments: