Friday, April 10, 2009

ER...again

So we had a wonderful morning. I will post more on that later I promise! I am so grateful for such great friends. Anyway, this morning and early afternoon we spent at the airplane museum with Kristen and her boys, Jacob and Jon. we packed lunches and had a grand time. On the way home, I thought that Josh looked like one of his eyes looked a little puffy. Soon he had 2 eyes that looked puffy and was playing with his tongue, he seemed to be scratching it. I called the peds clinic to see if they could see him, the nurse asked me a few questions and instructed me to give him Benedrayl and go to the nearest ER. He continued to grab at his tongue, he was trying to pull on it. She told me if he got any more swollen to pull over and call 911 - scary words. I drove quickly to the ER thankful that Kristen stayed with Noah. As soon as I walked in, the nurse behind the desk said "he's having an allergic reaction, do you know what to?" NO! I don't know, it is so frustrating. He was immediately taken back and I was thankful to be there, shortly after arriving Josh was given an epi shot. Within a few minutes, he seemed to be breathing calmer and he looked so much better. He is on another round of oral steroids for six days and also for the weekend benedrayl every 6 hours. We will follow up on Monday morning with his ped. and on Wed. with the allergist. Of course we wont' be able to do skin testing on Wed. but I still want to meet with the allergist. Things are getting serious quickly and I don't know what is causing the reaction - there has only been one common factor in both ER visits - rice flour. We will talk about that this week, until then no rice flour! I continue to praise God that Josh is safe and well despite the struggles he has had this week, he has gotten good care and Noah has been in safe hands while we have had to take care of Josh.

I promise to post tomorrow about Noah's latest funnies - he has had quite a few, he's such a sweet boy! Also I will have lots of pictures from our adventures to the airplane museum today!

1 comment:

Kristin Carlson said...

Diagnosis: upper respiratory infection with a rash (can't remember the name, something that starts with an A) & an ear infection! I thought we would end up at the Dr this week since he's had a runny nose & is coughing at night, but didn't expect that today. 3rd ear infection since his birthday in Jan. Possible ENT referral, I'll find out at the follow up on Mon. Hope Josh is doing well. Have a good Easter, Tucker is quarenteened & not allowed at church tomorrow, so I will read him the resurrection story & we will watch cartoons!