Monday, April 6, 2009

A Little More Info and Waiting

So I spoke with an allergist today at the clinic, not Josh's normal allergist since he is out of the office this week but at least someone. I think the man probably thought I was an overprotective mother - he's partially right so oh well. Apparently there will need to be more tests done and the blood test that Josh had previously can come back negative to things that he has a clinical allergy to - I think from what I understand that the blood test depends on there being a certain amount of antibodies (or something of that sort) to a given allergy in the blood, so it could also be that he is more allergic to soy beans than we first thought. I was told again that if he has a reaction where he is wheezing or has any swelling in the face to go to the ER - yes of course! I also asked about how long he will need to be off the Zyrtec before a skin test can be done; 7 days! 7 long days he'll have to be off his medicine. I told the allergist that if he was fairly certain that on the 15th they would be doing skin tests I would take him off of it, but that if not I couldn't see just keeping him off his medicine for extra days when it helps him. So starting Wed. no more Zyrtec for at least a week, if there is an outbreak of hives or anything like that, we'll just have to reschedule. Not quite any answers, but at least we are working on it and someone understands that this is getting serious and we are not just going to wait and see. I asked him about green beans - Josh had some on Friday - not a food we normally have (I'm not a fan at all) and they are also in the legume family which is what soy beans are in - it could be that caused the reaction on Friday. Now to hope that the oral steroids help clear up all the eczema that has flaired up, the bumps and rash type stuff and help him not itch since we'll be off Zyrtec for awhile.
There was also talk about whether he has asthma, whether if the reactions continue to involve any wheezing or swelling in the face if an epipen will be prescribed so that we will need to carry it always. I hope that we get answers next week, I am not looking forward to holding him down while they prick his skin numerous times...not at all but will remind myself that it is for his good and try not to cry hysterically during the process. For now, I will be the soy-police and ensure that at least that much is out of his system constantly. You will have to forgive me if you offer him anything and I scruntize every last ingredient - don't take it personal!

1 comment:

The Curry Family said...

I hope being off the Zyrtec doesn't bother Josh too much! My ped told me that usually babies that have food allergies, are at a better risk to develop asthma. That is one thing we are watching out for with Talon.