Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Josh is a Mystery

Seriously - the child is baffling even the allergist (who thankfully I feel comfortable with and have had several people tell me how much he helped/they liked him)
We are right now playing a game of theories and guessing basically which I don't like but at this point I do not know what else can be done. I went in with my list
So I had my list of reactions - when they happened, what he had eaten, where he had been etc.
Good news - we have noticed taht the eczema definitely flairs up when he has soy (or green beans or peas) so we are still keeping all soy out of his diet (and green beans and peas)
Bad news - his eczema is not completely gone even though he is on his second round of oral steroids; this is odd and concerning given that we are aggressively treating the eczema (when he isn't taking the oral steroids he gets steroid ointment all over twice a day, between those he is slathered 2 - 3 times a day in a heavy cream and gets daily long baths) So the thing here is that it could be a bacterial infection on the skin (we all have bacteria on our skin I guess, but you can be more sensitive to it when you have eczema) but to treat that you take an antibotic in the pencilin family - Josh is allergic; the next set of antibotics is often a cross-reactive drug and I just can't see without knowing that this is defintiely the cause see risking it given how he has reacted to so much lately. Plus an infection on the skin does not explain the wheezing/swelling of the face. But it could also be that he has a mild allergy to something else that he is getting regularly that is just keeping the eczema flaired
Josh just does not fit into any of the normal areas of reactions. The food allergy that causes anphaltytic (sorry about the spelling) typically shows happens 5 - 15 minutes after eating said food. However, if it is a mild allergy and he ate a higher amount than normal, the delayed reaction could have made more sense - so we are looking at all nuts right now and keeping them out. He had blood test done today for nuts (16 different kinds) and also for apples and strawberries (the strawberries were because they couldn't test on grapes/cranberries and these are two berries he eats often...then I guess we'll see if that needs explored further, he eats raisins/craisins often and hasn't had any swelling/breathing issues with them); apples are a fruit he eats/drinks regularly as well and we are wondering if that is causing the eczema to increase and never really clear up. It will be about a week for these results. He did have skin test today done for bananas and rice (two foods common to the two ER visits) and both were very negative - that was good to know.
I was also told that we need to avoid nuts, peanuts and shellfish. Josh is a "very allergic" child and these are ones that can be learned so to speak by early exposure to them and so it is probably best to just keep these out of his diet for a year to 3. We had no intention of introducing shell fish til at least 2, so we are going to hold off and cut nuts and peanuts (which are in the legume family with soy go figure) for at least a couple of years.

1 comment:

Kristin Carlson said...

You are doing a wonderful job with keeping on top of all this & I hope Josh starts feeling better. At least by cutting out all this now, he probably won't know what he's missing!