Thursday, December 3, 2009
Add another one to the list for Ear Infections...
Yep, we knew it was only a matter of time...Ms. Addison has her first ear infection. Seriously folks, I believe I should have gone to college to be an ENT - good grief! On a positive note, she slept all last night and is a pretty happy, content little girl for feeling so yucky. We had an appointment this morning with ENT for a follow-up and a hearing test. Of course, we did not do the hearing test this morning since she had fluid in both ears and one was infected. We will do it in probably a month because in about 2 or 3 weeks Addison will be getting her very own set of tubes, I mean she can't be out done by her big brothers, right? The doctor wants to wait until she is 50 weeks gestetational age because at 50 weeks or after having surgery does not mandate an over-night stay in the hospital. So surgery will call us in 2 weeks to schedule her surgery. Of course, Addison will have a much longer stay than her big brothers after her surgery since she'll be so little. I am guessing instead of the hour after surgery the boys have had we'll be there for four or five to make sure she is doing fine. I am having mixed emotions, mostly I am glad that we are getting this taken care of early because if she's had fluid since birth that hasn't gone anywhere and already has an infection and they say it's a family thing typically (and hello, tomorrow we're going for set number 2 for Josh and together the boys had I dunno probably 30 infections in 3 years) so I am glad we are taking care of it without having to have 5 or 6 ear infections first and because we want her hearing as best she can without any other things to complicate that. However, I'm a little sad because she is so tiny and will be having surgery. I think overall, Mike and I are calm and confident though in the decision to do it very early. We have complete faith in the doctor and the hospital that she'll be at. I'll update later after her audiology appointment - I am not sure they will be able to do the ABR repeat with the fluid/infection but we have lots of questions and hope to at least find some answers out at the appointment if we can. We'll see the audiologist and also the deaf educator (and no Addison is not deaf, she just is hard of hearing - that is simply the title) from Boys Town is meeting us for the appointment before the IFSP meeting on Monday. Again, I'm so grateful for wonderful friends here as the boys will get to go and play and have a good time while we are at the appointment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh goodness! Poor Addison! Ear infections are no fun, and she is so young to start them up! I'm glad you have doctors looking out for her best interest. I hope the surgery goes well (for both Josh and Addison).
Post a Comment