Friday, January 28, 2011

Just some rambling and reflection

I have a feeling that the blog is going to become a bit therapeutic - sorry about that ;-) you'll have to put up with my rambling.  This morning Addy had a home visit - typical she has one a month.  It's really not a huge deal, the teacher comes to the house and is very nice and helpful.  So we started with trying to get her up to speed on all that is going on and all that we don't know.  Then came the sign of release of information forms, and then working.  Mike was home, it was an early visit and he's days are a bit off this week, next week will be nights...it's been actually helpful.  So the visit goes on, and Addy isn't in the mood to really cooperate.  Honestly, yesterday she seemed a bit off - then this morning she took out one of her aids (which is odd) and when I went to put it back in, her ear was full of crusty goop.  Ear infection, again!  This by the way makes #3 (or at least the 3rd visit since mid December).
During the visit though, her teacher asked about her favoring her right hand.  And if she was starting to relax her fists at all.  Funny how things like that we don't really notice - yes probably a bit she does keep her hands in fists throughout the day.  So it seems that it might be worth having a consult with an occupational therapist just to make sure that things are going okay and that she doesn't keep her muscles all tense.  Her teacher also thought it might be helpful to have a consult for Addison to see a developmental pediatrician - which would be a pediatrician that would kind of make sure all the big picture things were handled...someone who has more expertize in dealing with special needs kids (which still sounds odd to me by the way) and hopefully would be able to help us coordinate things.  These consults are going to be done through the early intervention program, so it could be a little bit.  We're not overly concerned with her muscles, but the OT consult won't be invasive and if there is something there better to catch it early.  I think that would make 13 specialists we've seen for the kids in the last 5 years...which makes me laugh.  Mike and I were talking last night, I was commenting on how it almost seems normal - and that it's weird that we think it's "normal" to have so many doctors.
Anyway - leaving for ENT (for the ear infection) I honestly was feeling overwhelmed a bit...Josh is having a hard time this week, seems to be going through a phase of who is in control and in charge - fighting us on almost every little thing and having even small disappointments be HUGE deals.  It is hard, I struggle with it when they go through phases like this - I think that's normal for every mom.  I worry about with everything going on with Addison right now (which is really just tests and some questions waiting for answers...she's doing great, we are so very blessed!) that the boys feel the effects or don't get enough of my attention.  And then Addison's teacher mentioned us trying to get more one on one time with  her to do some nursery rhymes with motions (to work on that equal usage of the body) and fine motor skills....which made me feel bad/guilty because how much I feel I don't do.  And then Josh is upset and really I don't want to load us all up for another doctor's visit but we have to...and the timing stinks, it means naps will be short and interrupted/late.  Anyway, I felt like it was going to be one of "those days."  I really was starting to feel grumpy and a bit sorry for myself (which is ridiculous!).  I got in the van and was driving, praying for a better attitude - cause mine was stinking...then the song "I will praise you in this storm" (that may not be the actual title) and then another one of my favorites "Blessed be Your Name" - amazing how God always provides...God is always faithful even if it's just to remind you to not to have such a bad attitude.
Now I'm going to try and remember that for the rest of the afternoon - which is turning into a no nap (unless you count the maybe 10 minutes that were caught in the van) afternoon for anyone, with Addison being especially crabby and the boys both in "moods."

No comments: