Thursday, March 12, 2009
Josh's Allergy Appointment
I find it hard to believe that we are having allergy appointments already! But we need to do something more to help his poor skin with this eczema. I first want to say that I did not realize just how many medications Josh has had in his short life - there were 22 on his list and that did not include the multiples of antibotics and such and the few of course that I know where filled off base. 22! Yikes! I was beginning to feel like a bad mom filling out the packet of information because I could not remember for the life of me which month we started which treatments and exactly what month each symptom started or was worse. Thankfully the doctor was nice and did not make me feel like an idiot or a bad mother, just realized that we have been struggling with his skin for awhile! The doctor asked good questions and seemed knowledgable and very caring about the situation. I was very releived and glad that Josh could be seen so quickly considering this is a speciality. We had two options for testing him - either a blood test today with the results taking a week to come in or to give Josh oral steroid treatments for 5 days and clear his skin up completely and then do the skin test. He wouldn't be on any other medications for that time and we would still take a week to get results because we would wait almost a week before he could be tested. I thought the blood test, while not pleasant, would be the least tramatic option for both Josh and myself. Also, I was told that the Atarax is not more effective on treating the itching but because it causes patients to be so sleepy and drowsy there is less night time itching. I wasn't aware of this previously and given the struggles that have been more constant since switching with nasal drainage and colds, etc. that Josh has had and how snotty he was today at the visit, the doctor felt that going back to the Zyrtec might be a better option if the creams/ointments were still continuing to help with the eczema. He cannot take both, the Zyrtec will help the nasal congestion and allergies of that nature and still help with the itching; the Atarax will only help with the itching. I think helping both the nasal congestion and itching is important, I don't want him to suffer from constant colds, chest colds, and ear infections just so he doesn't itch. Thankfully this doctor was also concerned with following up and told me I could choose to follow up with him or with the dermatologist, we will wait and see what happens with the allergy test before deciding that I think but I was glad he wasn't just assuming this was the end. He said it would be a rollercoaster ride - Josh would have days he needed the oral allergy medicine and medicated creams that were steroids, hopefully he would also get to where he had days where he needed medicated creams that were not steroids (Elidal and Protopic are the two we have used) and other days nonmedicated creams. The other good news is that baths should be daily, the water will help and not hurt his skin - the soap in baths is what dries the skin out and we don't use soap on Josh just a cleanser - so baths daily and let him play until he is pruny. I think that Josh and Noah will both be thrilled with that news. I need to get busy and get the house cleaned and dinner prepped and started for the night - we are taking dinner to a family at church and then having some friends over to enjoy soup with us (well the boys I doubt eat soup). tomorrow I will be scrapping and I am really hoping to have the house completely cleaned today so that I can just scrap and play with the boys tomorrow!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment