Sunday, March 29, 2009

Adjustments

Well, we have been soy-free for about a week and a half and so far we are already seeing results in Josh's skin. We were told it would be about 10 - 14 days for the soy to be completely out of his system once we cut it out of his diet, so that 2 - 4 weeks was the best time frame to really see results. I am so glad we are already seeing results. It is nice to not have to use steriod ointments on him daily! He also is not snoring and seems just overall less congested than he had. So that is great in addition to the skin. It has been an adjustment, I'm making more things from scratch because it is cheaper and easier than hunting down a soy-free alternative (though we certainly have found things without soy and are glad for those). Noah loves having homemade bread with dinner - every bite almost gets a "oh, this is good bread." I will just be very glad when the new dishwasher (the old one quit again) is installed, washing dishes by hand isn't a favorite pass time to start with and cooking more from scratch requires more dishes. I'm trying to not be grumpy about this. This soy-free adventure has also nudged me to finally start planning out all of our meals, we've done a menu for dinner since we were in Texas (it came second nature to Mike and I like the planning). Now I am planning what we'll have for breakfast and lunch too, just so that I know we'll have a decently balanced food array for the day and can plan according to how much time we have. We'll see how that goes this week.
Noah is also going through some adjustments, not always easy ones. He is feeling the stress that has come with all the things breaking/happening at home I'm sure and I also think some of it could simply be an age/stage he is going through. He is less willing to obey and listen and will at times act out toward Josh and of course then he fights any discipline with stubborn determination that he won't go through the punishment for a negative action. It is wearing on us all, but I know this will pass and that we just have to be consistent. He's still such a sweet boy most of the time, we went on a mommy-son date on Friday and he kept asking where Josh was and then wanted to make sure we got something special for Josh too when he got to pick something out. He also will tell his friends before he leaves or they leave from playing "thank you for playing with me."

No comments: