Saturday, February 9, 2008

Another Update on Joshua

Well - our poor little guy was back in the ER tonight...he's OKAY, but he was very fussy all day, he just didn't seem comfortable to me and felt slightly warm. By the time we had dinner and were getting things cleaned up after that and Noah in the tub, he felt hot to me and Mike even noticed he was warm (I'm always a little more paranoid of course) so I decided to take his temp and sure enough he was running a fever, not quite as high as they say it needs to be to go to the ER (not urgent care since he's still so little) but close enough to make me want to go. By the time Joshua & I got checked in to Children's and were being evaluated at the triage place his temp was 100.6. The nurse warned me once we were in a room that with a fever that high in someone so young they would probably do a full work up of labs, urine sample, and possibly a spinal fluid check. It sounds strange to say thank goodness he just has an ear infection because with that the doctor was comfortable not checking his spinal fluids since his blood work and urine sample were what was expected with an ear infection. Thank goodness, I'm not sure I could have handled a spinal tap on my baby without someone else there. Mike stayed home with Noah because well there was no need to have him out with us in the night or dropped off with someone else and just not a normal night - I was fairly certain it wasn't too serious and knew if it was we would figure out a way for Mike to get to us. So our poor little guy is on antibotics already, but they also gave us some numbing drops for his ears and he seems much more comfortable. We already are going to the doc on Wed. for his well baby so we'll follow up more than and then a couple weeks after the medicine is finished. I think Mike & I may end up being experts on ear infections...let's hope we don't have more to learn in the future. On a happier note though from the visit, well two things - it is so nice to be somewhere and have everyone treat you so kindly and be so sincere about their care/concern for your child - the staff at Children's was great! and also Joshua was 10 lb 8 oz on Tuesday - well tonight he was 11 lbs (that was with his diaper on so maybe he's really like 10lb 14 oz but still) he's gaining weight like a champ it seems despite his struggles with all these bugs and such. We are off to give Joshua some more tylenol and ear drops and get ourselves to bed. Hope everyone else had a great day - oh and we have a few p ictures that need to be uploaded but of course we didn't quite get that done tonight like planned...soon I promise, I'm sorry.

No comments: