Just a short post (well short for me, lol) to update you on Noah's appointment in case anyone is wondering (I'm too excited to sleep right now so yes I know it's late but I am not sleeping anyway).
We saw Dr. Toth this evening (a 5 pm appointment) and Noah was all over the room of course, and was talking to Dr. Toth most of the time, which was great as I wanted his speech to be checked. Of course, this was just to see how to get the ball rolling, and also I was wondering if we shouldn't have his hearing checked again. Noah has been saying "Bee, bee" and pointing to his ears lately, mostly the left ear. Now, Noah knows what an ear is, he can point out his ear and your ear, so the "bee, bee" thing has thrown me some. It seems that the tube in his left ear has probably come out (this was of course something that was likey to happen, but I'm wondering when as I don't remember ever seeing it, yikes I probably just vacuumed it up huh?). So, we have a referal in for ENT again, he'll get another hearing test (it wasn't until much later in the evening that I thought I should have requested a pediatric ENT...rats, we'll have to see how much trouble that will be but I think it might be best to at least try). Also there is a self-referal for a developmental assessment/intervention program. I called, they were closed, so I will call again in the am - but we'll go from there. If what services they provide do not seem to be helping as much as we think it should be, we can go back and see about getting additional help covered through insurance and stuff, but Dr. Toth felt pretty confident that Noah would get enough help though. Dr. Toth also said that we probably are looking at a delay at this point, so it was good that we were getting some evaluation and stuff done now.
I'm a little concerned, I'm a little relieved, I'm a little bit feeling helpless. Somehow I thought there would not be too many emotions tied to this, it was just what it was and not a big deal, and in reality that is exactly what it is. Somehow though the part of becoming a mother means that no matter how simple and straight forward something is with your child, you wonder what you could have done better to help them not have to go through a struggle. Somehow I should have been able to get tubes in his little ears earlier to avoid almost 10 months of his hearing being affected, I should have then also been able to help him form words better - somehow I am suppose to help him not have struggles. I feel this and then remember God's great love, His unfaltering, perfect love for us and you know what, there are times that He allows us to struggle and though we do not always understand the struggles I know for certain that they fit in a plan that is perfect and will be used for good because I love God. So, while I wish that Noah didn't have to struggle with this and for a moment felt that it was my fault, I know that Miek and I have done all we can (or at least all we could think of) to help Noah learn words and speak clearly. We read every day, we talk all the time, Mike and I both talk about things constantly with him and play word games and read poems. This is just an obstacle that Noah must face, it is one that I feel confident will help strengthen him or teach him something. I also feel better knowing that as much as I love Noah, God loves him even more than I do and also has a plan for his life.
1 comment:
I think you and Mike are such great parents for wanting to help Noah in every way. I hope he will thrive with the program you were referred to.
Post a Comment